[XviD-devel] Global Motion Compensation

Marco Al xvid-devel@xvid.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:06:32 +0100

skal wrote:

> (Btw, for something completely different: I've found in the news
> this morning (!) the following reference:
> http://mountains.ece.umn.edu/~guille/inpainting.htm
> just wondering if this could be used for predictions (not in MPEG4, of
> course)...)

The prediction could be visually adequate, but as far as PSNR is concerned it
would probably be pretty poor ... it would be very hard to tweak such a codec.
Notice that they themselves didnt try it for instance ...

That said, people are working on it ... check for instance the papers from
http://adrianad.topcities.com/ (links to the pdf's seem seem fuxored at the
moment unfortunately, you can get em from IEEExplore if you have access ... or
if you are really anxious just ask here).

Marco