[XviD-devel] an idea for random cutting

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 22:24:44 +1000

>could it be possible to add a recompress function to XviD, wo would allow
>for example to
>code the frame number x, who is a P-frame, i an I-frame (i know it's not
>lossless), and keep
>all other frames with the same texture / motion data.
>This way, it would be possible to cut the bitstream at any frame.
>
>MarcFD  marc.fd@libertysurf.fr

hello,

you would have to compress the I-frame at very high quality,
because the following P-frame expects frame X to look like the
original decoded P-frame. even at quant=1, the recompressed X frame will NOT
be identical to the original X frame.

essentially you would end up with:
* a very large I-frame
* subsequent P-frames will have some visible artifacts.

a better solution would be to recompress all subsequent P-frames,
up until the next I-frame.

either way, this is more of an encoder-application issue, than an
xvid issue.

-- pete