[XviD-devel] SAD vs MSE for ME (warning! acronym overflow!)

Marco Al xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:15:07 +0200

skal wrote:

> I found (sleep-) time to quickly write down what I
> was thinking of yesterday, about SAD vs. MSE.
> It's at:
>
> http://skal.planet-d.net/coding/interpolation.html
>
> Any opinion whether it can be useful or not?

You might want to mention that with qpel this is not optimal
if you try to use it for half pel positions (because they are no
longer bilinearly interpolated).

How does SSD influence gradient searches during motion
estimation BTW?

If you want to try more elaborate matching schemes I can
think of more interesting ones than SSD BTW :)

There is always ZNCC (with a little preprocessing probably
as fast or faster than SSD!).

Directional SAD seems nice too (preprocess image with
sobel filters in x&y and perform SAD for both directions
seperately and summate them).

Marco