[XviD-devel] the problem

Radoslaw 'sysKin' Czyz xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 22:04:08 +0930

Hi

I wrote that I have artifacts in P frames when max_bframes == -1 and
divx5/ffdshow is used for decoding.
I also wrote that the problem is in intra blocks. I wasn't sure about
the last, now I'm even less sure. It's possible that intra blocks are
ok but the picture around them is bad.

Anyway, the problem is not easy to spot on most videos.
I encoded a video (406kb): http://users.bigpond.com/syskin/wrong.avi
Two dark blocks (from a macroblock? I can't tell) are easly visible at
frame 120. In general, it looks completely different in divx5 then in
xvid. Xvid is correct.
It's more different in the end, when last I frame is far away.
Everything is easly visible in the final fade.

I hope it will help.
I also encoded the same video with max_bframes = 0. The file had
different size, even though there are no I frames (but the first) in
either of them. The artifacts are gone.

Radek