[XviD-devel] "GreatLord"'s optmised code

Radoslaw Czyz xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 18:47:29 +0930

Hi

> a few days ago I sent around new code from "GreatLord", did anyone test
> it? Any comments on it?

I tested it.
Sorry, it didn't work. I had horrible artifacts in intra frames and
intra macroblocks :(

My comments:
This code increased the library (VfW dll) size by about 150kb. I'm
not sure it's worth it.
Encoding if intra blocks is fast anyway, they are also encoded quite
rarely. Of course I'd never say that any speedup is not needed ;) but
10% faster prediction -> not more that 1% faster encoding of intra
blocks -> unmeasurable speedup of entire process :(
It would be fine with me if it wasn't the size increase by 40% (331 kb
.dll [with my ME and B-frames support] vs 480 kb...) and I couldn't
measure any speedup. Maybe I could if I used only intra frames - never
checked.

Best regards
Radek