[XviD-devel] direct mode predictor error

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:02:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, peter ross wrote:

> >There also is no 132 frame i-frame rule. There is a "132 frame INTRA-block
> >rule". Every macroblock must not be INTER encoded for more than 131 blocks
> >in a row. Then it has to be INTRA coded. But if the INTRA block is in
> >INTER or INTRA frame doesn't matter. At least that's how I read the
> >standard:
>
> okay, okay, a minor typo.

Yes, but with consequences... unfortunately it would be quite a lot of
(two-pass) work to distribute the INTRA-blocks cleverly, and a simple
counter in a still scene would indeed lead to 90% INTRA-blocks within one
frame after 132 frames. :(
Maybe lets support this "feature" (flag XVID_REFRESH132) for a
"hardware compatability" mode and apart from that ignore it?

gruel