[XviD-devel] better rate control

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:58:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Dirk Knop wrote:
> >3) Choice of quantizers in second pass of twopass (#1, better fit to
> >targer filesize is really needed here)
>
> Hm. In my tests, we hit the target filesize very closely:
> [...]
> My conclusion is that redistributing the rounding error while
> downscaling the bitrate curve is giving us bigger deviation from the
> target filesize (the rounding error was 89kb when using my statsreader)
> - but:
>
> I don't see where there is urge for "better fit to target filesize".....

Hi,

sorry then, even better. There were some complaints about transcode and
the old two-pass and I later tested with transcode and new XviD-Vbr
lib, but maybe I wasn't using the latest version or wrong parameters.

So, we won't need the method to ensure target filesize. Fine.
How about CBR, could that be improved? Or should we concentrate
on other tasks?

Christoph