[XviD-devel] API 3.0

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:58:08 +0200 (CEST)

On 10 Sep 2002, skal wrote:
> > more questions:
> > * should we call it XVID_VERSION or XVID_API_VERSION ??
> >
> 	Is any backward compatibility planned (supporting
> 	older API)? If not, I'd vote for XVID_VERSION only.
> 	The API comes with...

Hm, somehow both is important. API_VERSION should only change if the API
changes, as we discussed ealier.
XVID_VERSION should somehow be connected to releases, maybe a major number
+ a minor which dynamically changes for every change in core?

> > * XVID_CPU_TSC can be removed; its not codec-performance related is it??
>
> 	I can't find it used anywhere. Just like:
> 	XVID_ADAPTIVEQUANT and XVID_LATEINTRA flags.

XVID_ADAPTIVEQUANT shout stay. It was introduced because currently
XVID_LUMI[?]MASKING switched on/off adative quantization which is
wrong. Lumimasking is only one tool of many possible for adaptive
quantization. However, I didn't clean up the lumi/adaptive mess which I
had planned, because there isn't an alternative approach yet.
As part of general cleanup, this should be done. For the API, it's only
important that LUMI must only be used if ADAPTIVEQUANT is enabled.

XVID_LATEINTRA can be removed. It was only used during a short period
after Michael changed position of INTER/INTRA decision.

gruel