Re[6]: [XviD-devel] motion estimation for B/P/I decision

Radoslaw 'sysKin' Czyz xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:01:46 +0930

> i saw it. sort of sad of MB decision ?

Just a simple motion estimation (the simlest I could think of) and a
sum of all SADs found is used for the decision... I also tried sum of
squared SADs but it worked worse.

> i want to say it CLEAR. i've done LOTS of test/coding/compare on
> SKIP decision the last past month, and i'm almost sure of a thing now :
> you can't avoid smearing with SAD/SSD or anything else
> (Hadamrad based,ect..) because it's impossible to know if it's due
> to noise or to very slow gradient move.

OK I understand now. What do you suggest? We can't just forget about
skip-mode imho...
However, did you notice that B-frames help with the smearing effect?
It seems that very small movement is just bigger, and as a result
skip-mode is not used. However, it's used for intermidiate  B-frames
and this results in a nice interpolation between one P-frame and
another.

I found that out on some anime, where smooth moving walls sure have
this artifact.

Radek