[XviD-devel] syskin me test in Matrix Title 29

Edouard Gomez xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:43:58 +0200

Hello,

I found  some time  to test  the dev-api-3 branch  (i hope  to release
stable this week end :))

Settings used :

[export_xvid.so]          motion flags:
                             PMV_ADVANCEDDIAMOND8
                             PMV_ADVANCEDDIAMOND16
                             PMV_HALFPELREFINE16
                             PMV_EXTSEARCH16
                             PMV_EARLYSTOP16
                             PMV_HALFPELREFINE8
                             PMV_EARLYSTOP8
[export_xvid.so]          general flags:
                             XVID_H263QUANT
                             XVID_HALFPEL
                             XVID_INTER4V

Bitrate = 690 (results are from 2nd pass)

I know some flag are now outdated, but they don't hurt...

And now the results :

Syskin ME :
# quant 1 : 0
# quant 2 : 0
# quant 3 : 304
# quant 4 : 2483
# quant 5 : 1588
# quant 6 : 271
# quant 7 : 7
# quant 8 : 35

Average quant : 4.296

Old ME:
# quant 1 : 0
# quant 2 : 1
# quant 3 : 286
# quant 4 : 2312
# quant 5 : 1710
# quant 6 : 335
# quant 7 : 11
# quant 8 : 33

Average quant : 4.481

File size have been respected in both cases, visual quality is hard to
judge as lot of debris are flying around. But this is a good point for
the new  ME imo. If it's  able to reduce  quants in such a  hard scene
that means  it performs (probably) a more  accurate motion estimation,
or uses shorter vectors and save bits for texture data.

I forgot to benchmark speed, perhaps tomorrow with other tests.

--
Edouard Gomez