[XviD-devel] it doubts...

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:34:29 +1000

>Of course you may argue that XVID would only by 1% of all Premiere
>functionality, but I doubt that any percentage would cover that, because
>in the moment you use XVID with Premiere, the program would have
>significantly reduced functionality if XVID were not included.
>
>Then Premiere+XVID is derived from XVID and this is not allowed...

what about software which dynamically calls the main() function,
must they too be GPL?!? i do agree with everyone; only gpl'd
applications should be able to utilize xvid. but we should not
restrict people using xvid with commerical apps.

windows provides an api for accessing video codecs based on fourcc,
there is no direct linkage taking place (well, it is perform in the
msvfw32.dll). i think our official statement to such requests should be:

  to use xvid encoder/decoding functionality within a non-gpl'd
  software application you may the video-for-windows api. To obtain
  a reference/handle to the xvid, you may ONLY use the ICOpen()
  function and request a 'vidc/XVID' compatibile codec. e.g.

  handle = ICOpen(ICTYPE_VIDEO,
                  mmioFOURCC('X','V','I','D'),
                  ICMODE_DECOMPRESS);

  statically or dynamically linking to xvid is not permitted under the
  terms of the gpl license. this prevnts you from calling DriverProc()
  directly, or the using the ICOpenFunction().

btw, ive never seen/used premier is it any good?

-- pete