AW: [XviD-devel] win32 xvid_stat crash

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:25:02 +1000

>I looked at my changes and i see nothing. I've just changed const
>qualifiers in init_vlc. THe problem is i can't look at ths bug because i'm
>not supposed to debug xvid at work... and i don't have a win box at home.

no one expects you to debug xvid if you have limite access to windows.
i'll have a look at the code.

>I found something rather strange and i already told that to christoph
>yesterday.
>
>Build a vc++6 binary (xvid_core and xvid_stat) -> crash at random C calls
>(printf and/or malloc)
>
>Build a xvid core dll with cygwin (mingw32 cross compilation) + xvid_stat
>compiled with vc++6 and linked against xvidcore dll -> runs fine

gcc and msvc use different heap memory management.
printf possibly does something to/with the memory management structs.

from what i can tell (i havent looked into it much), its caused by
the vlc_init code messing up the msvc memory management.

>So you're right to say problem is in xvid core, but why do we have a
>functionnal xvid core with gcc2/3.2 libs and buggy one with vc++6 ?

xvidcore/xvid_stat compiles and works under djgpp-dos (gcc 3.03).

-- pete