[XviD-devel] it doubts...

int21h xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:47:05 -0500

This entire situation is only complicated by the fact that XviD is
patent encumbered code and the GPL clearly does not apply to such.

-----Original Message-----
From: xvid-devel-admin@xvid.org [mailto:xvid-devel-admin@xvid.org] On
Behalf Of Vincent GOMEZ
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 6:49 AM
To: xvid-devel@xvid.org
Subject: RE: [XviD-devel] it doubts...

> A: A commerical application can be written to execute a specific
>    GPL'd application.
>
> B: A commerical video encoding application can be written to utilize
>    a specific GPL'd video codec.
>

> Could somebody point out to me the difference between case A and B?

It's a known problem of GPL. There's another corner case that GPL 3.0 is
supposed to fix :

 - Create a derivative work from GPL code
 - Put it on a server
 - Add a web services layer that calls the executable and returns
executable result.

Then you don't need to distribute your modifications because you're not
distributing your binary but just the services.

Your A and B problem is simular to this one as offering service can be
considered as a link against GPL code. But GPL has been written before
anyone on earth has ever thought about such complicated systems to get
things done in a computer. GPL 3.0 should be the answer to all these
cases.

--
Edouard Gomez