[XviD-devel] portab.h/stable - mingw

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:03:29 +1000

portab.h now makes sense. great work gom!

i just patched xvidcore/src/bitstream/bitstream.c:log2bin()
such that it compiles with mingw. there was a #ifndef WIN32
statement specifying some microsoft specific assembly. i simply
changed this to #if !defined(_MSC_VER)

---

we probably should move this to portab.h, OR, remove the assembly
completely. log2bin is only called ONCE per frame.

also some stuff i'd like to see hapen in xvidcore/vfw dev-api-3 tree

* move \xvidcore\build\win32\*  and \xvidcore\build\generic into
  \xvidcore\build. (i suggest come cvs/rcs trickey such that we
  dont loose history)

* rename the msvc output to libxvidcore.a (currently libxvidcore.lib)
  .lib & .a are identical.

* for all make/workspaces, place the output file (libxvidcore.a) in
  \xvidcore\build

the reason for doing this:
* there's no longer any barrier between microsoft visual c and gcc.
  (there never was, it a historic directory structure from opendivx).

  you can compile libxvidcore.a using gcc, then compile vfw using
  msvc, and like em together. or the otherway arround.

  also: maybe, using nasm -f coff we can get win32 debug info.
  and therefore, make better use of amd's codeanalyst software.
  i know for certain nasm -f win32 does not generate debug info.

-- pete