[XviD-devel] [XviD-stabe STATUS] Ready for last small bug fixing.

Edouard Gomez xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 19:05:43 +0200

Ok folks,

I've been having (or reported) success on all these platforms :

- GNU/Linux x86, ppc, sparc32
- Win32 MSVC, Cygwin, Mingw

I had even  time to benchmark 2  builds (best cases) on a  p3 549Mhz +
128Mb RAM with the garden sequence (114 frames yuv cif) :

Exe Used : msvc C
Real : 15.891s
User : 0.015s
System : 0.015s

Exe Used : cygwin C
Real : 14.815s
User : 0.015s
System : 0.015s

Exe Used : msvc ASM (mmx, mmx-ext)
Real : 4.041s
User : 0.015s
System : 0.015s

Exe Used : cygwin ASM (mmx, mmx-ext)
Real : 4.770s
User : 0.015s
System : 0.015s

Msvc build  : msvc6  sp5
Cygwin build:  gcc 3.2 (-mno-cygwin)
Compilation  Options :  standard options  in Makefile.cygwin  and msvc
project file (release)

As you can see, if you use plain C version, cygwin binary is 7% faster
than the msvc  one. But assembly optimized run  shows that msvc binary
is 16%  than cygwin binary. This  results sounds strange  to me... why
plainC is faster for cygwin  ? why assembly optimized code runs fatser
with msvc, even if it's the same assembly code ?!

Anyway,  I think this  is enough  to tag  the stable  tree and  make a
release from it... let me have fun on dev-api-3 as everybody else :-)

We have just to discuss  the number version. Personnaly i would number
it  :  0.9.0.  With  next  big  release  being  1.0.0,  branched  from
stabilized dev-api-3 and full advanced simple profile compliant.

What's your opinion ?

--
Edouard Gomez