Re[4]: [XviD-devel] New Motion Estimation (from sysKin) committed to branch

Radoslaw Czyz xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:26:28 +0930

Hi

> BTW, can you try a mode when Hinted ME would be used in one pass ??
> i know it would be a bit slower but it would allow advanced pre-processing.

In fact, it's already there. P/B/I decision is based on a simple
ME-like routine. It currently writes motion vector to MACROBLOCK array
because it's needed for future get_pmv(), but doesn't write
macroblock's mode (inter/intra) because it's not needed anywhere.

I'm not doing any simplier ME after this (but I could) because I don't
expect to have this analisis done for second pass. No wait, maybe I
really should do a special post-analisis search mode - deviation is
already computed, as well as SAD of 0,0 vector and some other things.
Will be faster, at least for firs pass/cbr/etc.

As for pre-processing, I don't know what kind of preprocessing should
be done when we have b-frames available - noise is updated every
second/third frame anyway, while idea of loosing P-frame's details
sounds horrible to me (B-frames won't re-create them because of higher
quant).
Well, I'm lame when it comes to stuff like this ;)

Radek