[XviD-devel] GMC/Segmentation/AdaptiveQuant

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:46:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Marco Al wrote:

> It is a more sophisticated form of luminance masking, but it doesnt remove the
> need to more accurately guess the rate savings. So as I said there, it is pretty
> much tangential to Gruel's intentions. Once the code is there to optimize
> quantizers&quantization based on an accurate estimate of rate (or even measured
> rate) and a distortion measure you can plug in any distortion measure you want.

Right.

I was refering to a method closer to "optimal adaptive quantization" like
Dirk Farin is doing research on:

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/farin02ratedistortion.html

I wanted to test if this can be combined with the paper
$\rho$-domain estimated and make the whole thing a little
less "optimal", because otherwise it would get too slow.

gruel