Re[8]: [XviD-devel] New Motion Estimation (from sysKin) committed to branch

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:21:52 +1000

>btw, why are there not-coded VOPs in there?
>if they are supposed to be skiped frames then they should have a unique
>timecode IMHO

the n-vops are inserted into "empty" frames when using packed-mode.
[foo] represents an avi frame, [-] re e.g.

unpacked: [I] [P]  [B] [B] [P]  [B] [B] [P]
packed    [I] [PB] [B] [-] [PB] [B] [-] [P]

the empty frames cannot be set to length=0, because vfw decoding
interprets this as a frame drop and doesnt bother calling the codec.

so to get arround this, divx5.02 inserts a n-vop using the previous
p-vop's timecode. xvid does the same to remain compatible.
imho, inserting a simple user_start_code would be better.

-- pete