Re[10]: [XviD-devel] New Motion Estimation (from sysKin) committed to branch

Edouard Gomez xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:09:05 +0200

Marc FD (marcfd@free.fr) wrote:
> SysKin, i've tested the new 2 pass hinted ME without Bframes,
> and i gives me misplaced MBs, like Koepi. i used today's CVS.
> is it normal ? (sounds like a bug for me)

Are you sure it is really misplaced MBs, because i'm suffering strange
bugs too with bframes but they are all decoder related.

If i encode a test sequence with bframes, and then i use ffmpeg libavcodec then i get misplaced Mbs during playback. But if i write the mpeg4 bitstream directly to a file and i use xvid_decraw to decode it, then frames are just as expected.

So there're 3 possibilities :
 - libavcodec is right and something's is wrong in xvid-devel encoder
 - libavcodec is right and 2 bugs are compensating each other in xvid
 - libavcodec is wrong and xvid does the job just well.

But afaik, avcodec had always played fine bframe clips with old ME, so
it's probably one of the 2 first solutions.

--
Edouard Gomez