[XviD-devel] [x]Optimize for TV output

int21h xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:50:05 -0500

I think gruel and -h have stated many times that these 'dirty' areas are
infact caused by an over quant of black, and it seems to be a general
problem with all implementations of MPEG-4 at the moment.

int21h

-----Original Message-----
From: xvid-devel-admin@xvid.org [mailto:xvid-devel-admin@xvid.org] On
Behalf Of Dirk Knop
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 8:48 AM
To: xvid-devel@xvid.org
Subject: Re: [XviD-devel] [x]Optimize for TV output

peter ross wrote:

> firstly, what exactly is a lum offset of -2?
> i assume it simply decrease each luminace pixel by 2.

I think this is it. It's the code from mpeg2dec.dll (dvd2avi), and it
sounds reasonable to just subtract 2 from the luma value of a pixel.
Marc may tell us more about this... Marc?

>> What do you think?
>

> i think this type of thing is codec independant, and should be
> written as an avisynth filter, or built into the encoding
> application.

In fact, MarcFD coded this into his mpeg2dec-pp.dll (-> avisynth
filter), but I think it would be a nice feature to add to XviD for
people who don't know how to "tweak everything" - it's easy to add to
XviD (I assume, I could try to hack that in), and we would have a unique

feature more ;) (cheap but effective codec improvement)

Correction for the initial post: from my tests I have to say that using
lumi masking together with this is a no-no as it is simply too strong
for these conditions. (Have to redo my contact-rip because of that...
some areas get quantized too high now).

Best regards,
Dirk