[XviD-devel] License for RELEASE 0.9

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:11:41 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

as you might know, the first real release is only a few hours
away. Because we had inquiries and discussion about the use of
XviD in proprietary applications (and using it with Windows Media
Player or Adobe Premiere are alreay such cases), we were planning
to add the "linking through a speicfied interface" permission to GPL
license. You can find the text here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingOverControlledInterface

VfW and DShow interface should be covered by this. Permission to
use internal API is not needed at the moment, because all video
applications in the UNIX world I know of are GPL anyway.

However, we need permission from all copyright holders. Can those who
haven't answered already please say if they have objections against this?

gruel