[XviD-devel] Re: multiple reference frames

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Wed Apr 2 15:10:40 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Nicolas Dumoulin wrote:
> suxen_drol wrote:
>  > On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:02:34 +0200 Nicolas Dumoulin
> <news at bobuse.fr.st> wrote:
>  > yes, but, xvid only stores the last reference frame. so you if you wish
>  > to experiment with multiple reference frames, you will need to add an
>  > additional buffer to store all the references frames.
>
> Ok, that's what I thought
>  >
>  > note: multiple refernce frames will break mpeg-4 compatiblity with
>  > simple and advanced-simple profiles. the advanced-realtime-simple
>  > supports multiple reference frames, however this profile is not widely
>  > supported by commerical decoders.
>  >

> that's okay ! it's just for experiments ;-)

Hi,

while you're at it, can you maybe test these two setups:
1) Always buffer the last keyframe as possible reference
2) Have 1 extra buffer which the encoder can decide which frame to
   put into.

VP3/theora uses 1) calling them "golden frames", and I was wondering how
much better 2) would be compared to 1) [2) can of course emulate 1), so
it has to be better somehow].