[XviD-devel] new GMC, GME refinement

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sat Apr 12 11:18:15 CEST 2003

Hi,

I just added Skal's GMC code to my local source tree (I don't have CVS
access from here). It's nice an clean, thank you, Skal.
Btw. @skal: there was a tiny bug in the code you sent (which took me two
days to find): If GMC points to an address outside the VOP (left or top),
you set the offset to 0. That should be -1 or -stride, because everything
outside must be the edge pixel, including the value at "Offset+1"
This is not visible when decoding with the same code, but ffmpeg showed
smearing errors.

Anyway, I also added support for differential refinement of GME results (3
warppoints.) No wonder current GMC doesn't help encoding. It never
produces the best GME parameters... However, GME_REFINE is very slow at
the moment, but I got up to 5% save in bitrate at fixed quant and PSNR.
With QPel it's less and with low bitrates, it gets worse, so there's some
work left to do.