[XviD-devel] Cartoon mode

Radek Czyz radoslaw at airnet.com.au
Thu Apr 17 23:13:53 CEST 2003

> I'm
> still wondering why Qpel is sometimes worse and often better than halfpel. I
> have an idea and I'm currently investigating this.

I came up with an answer recently, when I was playing with my LOTR
DVD. It turns out that qpel can help - really help - when the image is
sharp, while it doesn't help when the image is blurry.
People often blur images (by using soft resize filters, and
spatial-temporal softeners) to achive lower quantizers. It's a good
thing to do with halfpel, but it appears not to have this effect with
qpel - qpel is able to deal with sharp image easier, and - more
importantly - is able to keep the details.

I hope this is useful :)

Radek