[XviD-devel] Re : Cartoon mode. and other comment.

Romain PIQUOIS rpiquois at klab.org
Fri Apr 18 21:30:10 CEST 2003

Hi everybody,

1/ I would like to give my opinion about cartoons
Actually yes the "cell" part of the image is mostly a line (not always black
actually) and a surface...
But you are forgetting about the background where the quality can be VERY
high
and that can look like a normal picture (watch some theater movies such as
disney or japanese good stuff).

So I agree for the post filter where you can somehow correct the surface to
look "uniform" but
it is not that easy for the compression itself.

Still I really like the idea of profiles. Its great. Put a "anime/cartoon"
bit for the decoder too :-).

2/ Is is possible to detect at a very cheap cost that the image is in grey
level ?
(May be is it already doing it ?) so it encode the video in black and white
when it is necessary AUTOMATICALLY
(not by specifing a segment of the movie).

Different topics :
3/ I have watch some movies recently encoded in Divx and I really enjoyed a
function of their decoder :
its the "film effect" filter.  It add a noise to the image, it is very
simple, but to the eyes when the compression
is very high, the "blocky effect" is disapearing. (like walls with
lighting).

Actually I prefer to have a well distributed noise than seeing these
horrible blocks...

May be is possible to detect this gradient blocky effect and have even a
"smarter" filter than change the noise locally based on the area :-).

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Everybody keep up the good work, its great !

Romain.

Ps : I bought the Video and Codec book and read it, understood everything,
but I am so busy with my job that
I do not have time to help the community for coding. m(_ _)m  (<-- means
apologize).