[XviD-devel] Early SKIP and early DC-only

Marco Al marco at simplex.nl
Mon Apr 21 20:26:54 CEST 2003

From: "Christoph Lampert" <chl at math.uni-bonn.de>

> > hard to comprehend how MPEG4 ended up with its braindead scheme.
>
> Hm, I didn't find it that bad. What do you dislike about it?

In p-frames the skip decision in MPEG4 is tied to the coding of backgrounds
in static camera and animation shots ... and can sometimes be abused for
coding different things.

The skip decision should be tied to the predictibility of a MB, not tied to
specific forms of video ... so that means not taking 0,0 as the MV of a
skipped MB, but the predictor (like H.264, which AFAIK defaults to using the
predictor as the MV for skipped blocks ... only using 0,0 if any of the MVs
used for prediction is 0,0).

Marco