[XviD-devel] xvid license

Marco Al marco at simplex.nl
Tue Apr 22 22:30:23 CEST 2003

From: "Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller"

> In reponse to this we added a license factory field to each of our
> plugins and our long term plans include having applications activly
> having to tell GStreamer that they are allowed to access GPL
> applications.

This is silly, every application will say it is ... and more importantly
every application will be correct in doing so, all applications are allowed
to use GPL plugins (Richard Stallman said the same, if you think differently
you misunderstood). Copyright law only concerns distribution.

If you want non GPL applications to be able to use your library, but dont
want them to use GPL plugins your only real option is not to write the
plugins.

You cannot demand applications tell GStreamer truethfully if they are GPL or
not ... the LGPL does not allow you to make a legally binding agreement to
that effect (it would be an additional restriction).

Marco