[XviD-devel] xvid license

Marco Al marco at simplex.nl
Wed Apr 23 18:50:47 CEST 2003

From: "Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller"

> Anyway our interpretation of the GPL is as follows, while our plugin code
is
> LGPL licensed (and can be re-used as such on its own) it do become GPL at
> compile/link time. The framework as such is still LGPL and  non-GPL apps
can
> still use it even with GPL plugins installed as long as they only call on
> non-GPL plugins.

"as long as they _can_ only call" would be a better wording. The "I cannot
use GPL plugin" flag in a non GPL application using GStreamer should only be
able to be set at compile time, it should be baked into the binary, if it
can be set at runtime the application cant be distributed with XviD.

Marco