[XviD-devel] varibale bitrate and newpred

Olaf Landsiedel olaf at olafland.de
Sat Aug 2 03:25:27 CEST 2003

Dear xvid developers,

In hope not to bother you guys too much.. I have a couple of questions:

1. Thanks for your help and advice for variable bit rate encoding. I am
about to write my own plugin for this. This brings me to my first
question:
	How stable is the dev-4-api?

2. I have seen your talk about the newpred in May. As you guys may know,
it is part of the Advanced Real-Time Simple Profile. And here is a nice
scenario for real time communications using it. The frames get encoded
and streamed through the network; congestion causes the loss of a key
frame. So a new key frame to base prediction on would be needed. The
network is working with high load (congestion), so sending a big key
frame would not be good. Solution: The receiver tells see sender through
its back stream to base the prediction on a different frame, one he
already got.
This brings me to my next question:
	What exactly of the Advanced Real Time Profile does the encoder
and the decoder support?
	As seen new pred is not supported, what about adaptive
resolution?
	Or the improved error rebustness (should be about 10 times
better than the Simple Profile)?

And the last question:
	How stable is the Advanced Real Time Profile compared to the
Simple Profile?
	What about differences in speed?

Thanks everybody,

Olaf