[XviD-devel] Decoder performance

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Fri Aug 8 16:54:04 CEST 2003

elcabesa (elcabesa at inwind.it) wrote:
> hi eduard..

You miss an O in my name ;-) Edouard

> i have my last code for linux
>  want you ve_xvid and vd_xvid for mplayer/mencoder?? ( thewre is not big
> changes from the code you sent me)

No, really  it's no use, i've done  many changes since last  time i sent
you  my files,  it is  now using  the win32  option names  (like current
mencoder module, some names differs tho)

My turn to offer you my files :-)

I can paste  you the complete ChangeLog, sorry it's  like spam, but that
gives you a rough idea of what did:

2003-08-08 09:57:02 GMT	Edouard Gomez <ed.gomez at free.fr>	patch-5

    Revision:
      mplayer-xvidmodule--devapi4--1.0--patch-5

    I'm really disapointed by XviD decoder's speed... it's so slow !
    Btw here is an additional speedup trick, now the module requests the
    use of XviD's internal buffers, that gives a 8% speed up.

    modified files:
     ./ChangeLog ./vd_xvid.c

2003-08-08 09:09:29 GMT	Edouard Gomez <ed.gomez at free.fr>	patch-4

    Revision:
      mplayer-xvidmodule--devapi4--1.0--patch-4

    XviD has really poor results in decoding. It is 2 times slower compared
    to ffmpeg, something is really missing because XviD was not so slow in
    0.9.x series and devapi3.

    The XVID_CSP_USER should help a bit but it does not give the expected
    speed boost.

    Still investigating.

    modified files:
     ./ChangeLog ./vd_xvid.c

2003-08-07 21:24:34 GMT	Edouard Gomez <ed.gomez at free.fr>	patch-3

    Revision:
      mplayer-xvidmodule--devapi4--1.0--patch-3

    Added a message to output the selected RC type

    modified files:
     ./ChangeLog ./ve_xvid.c

2003-08-06 16:22:12 GMT	Edouard Gomez <ed.gomez at free.fr>	patch-2

    Revision:
      mplayer-xvidmodule--devapi4--1.0--patch-2

    I added the two missing xvid_enc_xxx_t structure filler functions.

    The module is now more or less functionnal, it needs just testing.

    modified files:
     ./ChangeLog ./ve_xvid.c

2003-08-05 23:28:24 GMT	Edouard Gomez <ed.gomez at free.fr>	patch-1

    Revision:
      mplayer-xvidmodule--devapi4--1.0--patch-1

    Ok i started converting all the configuration stuff to the more user
    friendly version. That brreaks lot of code...

    So here is the first part, the module compiles, but is known not to work
    at all. I need that first step to be commited in order to go on.

    modified files:
     ./ChangeLog ./ve_xvid.c

2003-08-04 14:23:57 GMT	Edouard Gomez <ed.gomez at free.fr>	base-0

    Revision:
      mplayer-xvidmodule--devapi4--1.0--base-0

    I had these files on my HD since 1 month, i think it's now time
    to import them in arch archive so i can do real work on them.

    NB: these two mplayer modules have been written by elcabesa, but i
        modified them a lot for my (developer's) needs. Now i think it's
        time to have more 'user friendly' config options. I'll probably
        copy most of this stuff from transcode.

    new files:
     ./ChangeLog ./vd_xvid.c ./ve_xvid.c

--