[XviD-devel] New Qpel code

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Sat Aug 23 20:27:53 CEST 2003

Hi,

Quoting Edouard Gomez <ed.gomez at free.fr>:

> Hello,
>
> New qpel code has been commited to CVS. However non ia32 don't use it
> because it is advertised to be faster only on ia32. I would like to have
> some more precision on that point, on which platform has this patch been
> tested ?

well, it's mmx code and c code imitating the mmx behaviour (so it's a c
reference implementation for the mmx code). On MMX machines, the mmx asm
code is used and this gives an improvement. However the new c code (qpel.c)
is much slower than the already available c code (interpolate8x8.c). This
should be true for all platforms - I haven't tested it on any platform
besides x86, but I would be very very surprised if the new c code would
be faster on any other platform.

> PS:  i'll commit  some cleanups  for this  new code  in order  1/  to be
> CodingStyle compliant  and 2/ to make  it build on unix  and/or non ia32
> correctly.

It doesn't build on unix?

bye,