[XviD-devel] New Qpel code

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Sun Aug 24 13:53:43 CEST 2003

Quoting Christoph Lampert <chl at math.uni-bonn.de>:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Edouard Gomez wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > New qpel code has been commited to CVS. However non ia32 don't use it
> > because it is advertised to be faster only on ia32. I would like to have
> > some more precision on that point, on which platform has this patch been
> > tested ?
>
> Feature freeze was 2 month ago. Do we really need new code just for
> speedup, possibly introducing new errors before releasing 1.0?

Is 'more speed' a new feature?? Seems not, according to your own definition:
http://edu.bnhof.de/pipermail/xvid-devel/2003-May/002932.html

Also 'more speed' is essentially what people expect from a 1.0 release. What
most people like to see from a 'stable' release is that the new features like
qpel or b-frames are finally stabalized - meaning that they'll become a bit
faster (even though we can't do wonders here).

bye,