[XviD-devel] New Qpel code

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun Aug 24 17:02:07 CEST 2003

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Edouard Gomez wrote:
> PS: while checking the code, i just noticed it's a trick i have ready in
> a patchset but is neither commited to  my tree nor the CVS. Btw i use it
> extensively to remove branches when i know the branches just decide what
> function has to be called.

Have you checked if this provides any positive effect? Branching based on
some value (which might be constant, so prediction works almost
always) doesn't have to slower than reading the address of a routine from
memory (based on the same value) and jumping then. In both cases,
pipelining has to be stopped because the next instruction isn't clear.