[XviD-devel] [RFC] kthresholding in 2pass2

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Mon Dec 1 17:45:54 CET 2003

Hi,

wow, this sounds all very scientific ;-)

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about sequences of several I-frames
in a row. So, as usual, I start asking stupid questions:

When do such IIIII or IPIPPIPP sequences occur? Is it a "missing feature",
because XviD detects scenechanges where there isn't one? Or is the image
content really changing that much and often?

The only occurance I found was a TV series where from time to time there
were short shots with every alternate frame _inverted_ to express
some telekinetic action that wouldn't have been noticed by the viewer
(100 points to who can tell me the series and who the character/actress
with telekinetic powers was, together with what famous NBC series she
stars in now). So there, the changes were real, and spending fewer bits
on all but last I-frame would hardly have been noticed because of all the
flashing.

The bigger problem I see if _not_ the sequence is really changing, but
only XviD creates too many I-VOPs. Because then, the viewer might follow
some action and concentrate on elements which for real scene changes would
be masked.
Could within min_keyframe_interval maybe the percentage of MBs be raised
which are needed to classify a frame as I-VOP.
As far as I know, even at scenechanges, I-frames usually don't save bits,
anyway, at least not many, but are mainly as keyframes for index
generation.

gruel