[XviD-devel] MEncoder still cannot find Xvid 1.0 on Mac OS X...

Christoph Nägeli chn at kbw.ch
Wed Dec 3 19:42:07 CET 2003

Hi Edouard,

The configuration script for xvid has many problems on os x...

First the ranlib has never worked correctly.
Then the script doesn't recognize the PowerPC correctly (if you
overlook that, then It compiles, you just have to use ranlib on the
library):
     if it detects a powerpc, it sets the architecture variable to
generic
     => All assembly and altivec files are disabled.

If you enable it manually, and set the architecture flag to ppc, then
there is no definition of the altivec routines and the compiler fails
because of undefined symbols (they are only enabled if you define the
architecture as DARCH_IS_ALTIVEC, but with this architecture, then
portable test fails...)

If you change some of the files to solve the ARCH_IS_ALTIVEC Problem,
then you got the next problem: PPC 4xx instructions that are no more
supported (Guillaume had corrected it but forgot to commit I think))...

Solving this, you fail because the 'as' distributed with Mac OS X is
incompatible with the linux 'as' which the assembly files are written
for. I mailed with Guillaume some time ago (since I plan optimizing
xvid for ppc, I just need more time ;) ), and he tought it would be
best to replace the altivec assembler files by c-files for more
compatibility.

Any ideas?

Regards
Christoph