[XviD-devel] question about the decoder+slice rendering

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Sun Dec 14 00:56:38 CET 2003

Hi,

yes, I know it's slow. However it's already much faster than the original
version I wrote in May. So I think you won't get the c-code much faster
anymore - meantime I also have a faster PC now than in May and together
with the code optimizations, I'm quite happy personally ;-))

Also I think that the quality of the postprocessing is pretty nice and
that is because we treat each single edge pixel individually. This however
makes it very hard (if not impossible) to create a MMX version that runs
faster than the current c implementation. I have some other ideas how
to reduce the complexity of the deblocking process, however I need to
check first if I can retain the same quality level then.

You can expect some more new postprocessing stuff soon that should
further enhance the quality (and maybe speed as well). BTW: What kind of
resolution did you try to decode on your Athlon? 263% cpu usage sounds
very high, because I was able to decode a 640xXXX sequence with post-
processing in real-time on a PIII 1.1 GHz.

bye,
Michael