[XviD-devel] Fixed quant second-pass

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Mon Dec 15 11:26:42 CET 2003

Hi guys,

I finally remembered what I wanted to propose:

Has anyone checked the simplest two-pass possible,
as I just described on xvid-users?

Encode with in bitrate mode, calculate average quant (float), use that for
second pass with only very mild ratecontrol in second pass to not exceed
limit?

Or, if first pass has to be fixed, calculate target average quant by
scaling first pass size, but not on per-frame-basis, but just overall?

I still have the impression that the "clever" twopass varies quantizer too
much. +-1 of average could absolutely be enough.

chl