[XviD-devel] Re: License/legal discussions

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sat Dec 20 12:45:00 CET 2003

Hi Christian,

I think, the problem is not that the copyright holders of XviD would
have to "allow" Jan's company to use XviD, or that it would have to pay
money for it.
We released XviD under GPL, and all Jan's company wants is to use XviD
according to the terms of GPL. This includes the opening of sources, which
for all other companies so far was the problem.

The only problem is, that although we "try to" release XviD under GPL,
because of the patent situation it might not be possible for anyone else
to redistribute XviD under GPL, totally contrary to what we intended.

So, changing the license is much more fundamental than just making some
company happy, it's about the fundamental rights we give to all users.
We shouldn't come up with just a quick-and-dirty solution for Jan, but
find a good solution for the future, too.

gruel