[XviD-devel] Re: License/legal discussions

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Sat Dec 20 08:50:10 CET 2003

Christoph Lampert:
> I think, the problem is not that the copyright holders of XviD would
> have to "allow" Jan's company to use XviD, or that it would have to pay
> money for it.
> We released XviD under GPL, and all Jan's company wants is to use XviD
> according to the terms of GPL. This includes the opening of sources, which
> for all other companies so far was the problem.
>
> The only problem is, that although we "try to" release XviD under GPL,
> because of the patent situation it might not be possible for anyone else
> to redistribute XviD under GPL, totally contrary to what we intended.
>
> So, changing the license is much more fundamental than just making some
> company happy, it's about the fundamental rights we give to all users.
> We shouldn't come up with just a quick-and-dirty solution for Jan, but
> find a good solution for the future, too.

Thank you, Christoph -- this is a *very* good summary of what we're
discussing. I couldn't have phrased it better.

I don't want to start several parallel discussions here, so I'll try to
refrain from correcting misstatements in other E-mails in this
thread. One thing to remember: this is not about closed-source vs
open-source at all (ChristianHJW, please note this). Binary or source
distribution has *nothing* to do with the patent issues I was talking
about, so please don't mix those things. Also, please try to keep money
out of the discussion -- it also has nothing to do with this.

best regards,
--Jan