[XviD-devel] Doc Contributions are welcome

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Tue Dec 30 14:24:53 CET 2003

Hi,

I have a question regarding the 1.0 API. I know it should be frozen by now,
however I believe that minor changes towards a final API should still be
ok in the Beta stage. At least I think that the API is not yet 'finished',
so for example it lacks a DERING decoder flag. Sure, there is no dering
code in xvidcore yet, however it might make its way into core with version
1.0.1 or so and so I think it would be good to have flags in the API for
features that are likely to be added very soon to xvidcore. This would
allow to keep the API stable and unchanged for all 1.0.x versions and the
docs would also be up-to-date for the whole 1.0.x series.

Apart from that, we have used up almost all free slots for motion flags,
while however some of the defined flags are completely useless or
abandoned. So I think it would be good to also kick out useless flags and
free some space for new ones as long as we still can change the API (and I
think we can as long as 1.0 final is not released).

BTW: Adding new flags to the API should be no problem at all because it
doesn't touch interoperability with existing apps in any way. It's just
good to have as much flags as possible described in the docs. Removed un-
used flags could be done in a safe way also: Just define a new DO_NOTHING
flag and map all unused flags to this flag. That frees up some slots with-
out sacrificing compatibility.

bye,
Michael