[XviD-devel] VHQ mode decision/ motion search - first results (fwd)

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sat Feb 8 11:28:32 CET 2003

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Radek Czyz wrote:
> Now, I have questions/favours to ask.
> 1. we need a name for it :P there should be 3 flags - one turns this
> thing on, second also makes subpel refinement in dct domain, third
> also does diamond-search in dct domain.

DCT-Mode decision is a "general" flag, I guess... maybe
XVID_MODEDECISION_DCT in contrast to other future (and maybe
faster) heuristic XVID_MODEDECISION_XXX flags?

For refinement, we currently have
PMV_HALFPELREFINE[16/8]  and PMV_QUARTERPELREFINE[16/8]
so (if 16/8 is possible at all), then how about
PMV_HALFPELREFINE_DCT[16/8] and PMV_QUARTERPELREFINE_DCT[16/8] ?

For search? Hm, new flags SAD_MODE_DCT ? Which can be parallel to
SAD_MODE_SAD, SAD_MODE_SSE, SAD_MODE_HADAMARD, or similar?

ffmpeg has three numerical fields for this: precmp, cmp, subcmp
for a presearch-step, the search itself and the subpel-refinement step.

However, I believe we can restrict ourselves to do search itself with SAD
(or maybe SSE for anime), but use "more intelligent" modes only for
refinement...