[XviD-devel] [PRE RELEASE] v0.9.1 is ready -- last chance to report bugs

Stephan Krause s_kraste at ira.uka.de
Tue Feb 11 01:23:31 CET 2003

Hi,

> Good to hear that, I'm just curious to know what you do with XviD on
> such a highend type of architecture ;-)
[...]

The iA64-Code is the result of a "Praktical Work" at the University of
Karlsruhe (with the goal to find possibilities to optimize assembler code for
this architecture which *could* be used to build a good[1] compiler for iA64).
(And I remained as "maintainer", because we didn't want all the work to be
wasted)

But at last, the Itanium (1) is not really highend, but only a damm expansive
way of heating. In fact, my Athlon 900 is *MUCH* faster encoding Videos than
that piece of hardware. The Itanium 2 is said to be much better, but 'till
now, I did never see one.. But since the Architecture is mostly the same,
XviD should run there, too, and should be able to use our assembler-
optimizations.

Stephan

[1] ther is no really good compile for iA64 i know of, most of the pretty
features of the architecture can only be used coding assembler, and the is no
real solution finding the optimal order of instructions to reach a maximum
level of parallelism, as the cpu does not reorder the instructions like the
x86.

--
Sig fault. (core dumped)