[XviD-devel] VHQ

Radek Czyz radoslaw at syskin.cjb.net
Thu Feb 13 19:52:42 CET 2003

Thanks for the results, Christoph.

First of all, I'm happy it works. The tests you've conducted have the
same results as mine.

There are 3 things on my VHQ-related todo list now:

 - do something about the speed. in particular, when we compute
   cbp, we can remember it (put it in MACROBLOCK struct <-- this doesn't
   sound so good). In motion compensation we could use
   transfer8x8_copy instead if transfer_8to16sub for blocks which
   will not be coded. We would also skip fdct + quantization for these
   blocks.

 - experiment more and discover if we could do something about this
   PSNR drop. Perhaps we should skip _BITS refinement/search (leave only
   decision) for macroblocks where _any_ luma dct block is zero? or two?
   or three? just an idea.

 - use it for mcsel in GMC. should work good.

The problem I would _really_ like to fix is this B-frames flickering I
hate so much. Stupid bug, it's even difficult to prove it exists. But
it does exist.

Best regards,
Radek