[XviD-devel] Re: VHQ

Felix von Leitner felix-xvid at fefe.de
Mon Feb 17 11:59:44 CET 2003

Thus spake Christoph Lampert (chl at math.uni-bonn.de):
> > The problem I would _really_ like to fix is this B-frames flickering I
> > hate so much. Stupid bug, it's even difficult to prove it exists. But
> > it does exist.
> Can it be reproduced on "artificial" images? Are you sure that it's really
> a bug and not due to some quantization rounding or something?

For what it's worth, I get bad visual quality with mplayer when I
encode something with xvid with b-frames but play it back with ffmpeg.
qpel, gmc, all help next to nothing.  Playing back with -vc xvid looks
much better.

Is there any way we could get b-frames and two pass mode to cooperate?
So far I am not using b-frames at all because they always look much
worse than a decent two pass mode without all the advanced features.

Felix