[XviD-devel] Re: Xvid Developement (Hardware)

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Wed Feb 19 10:01:20 CET 2003

Hello Ahmad,

before you start implementing any part of XVID in hardware, please take
the time to read our software license (GPL) which can be found in any
distribution of XVID or at http://www.fsf.org/licenses

I general, hardware implementations are _not_ compatible with the GPL,
since it makes it impossible for users to modify and redistribute the
program. However, I don't know how FPGAs fits into this picture.
Please check this at http://www.fsf.org or in the corresponding
newsgroups/mailing-list .

If it turns out that FPGA are not compatible with GPL, you may create an
implementation and use it at your will, but you may _not distribute_ it in
any way, neither commercially, nor for free.

When these general questions are settled, I'm sure many people at our
mailing list xvid-devel at xvid.org to which you can subscribe at our
homepage www.xvid.org will be willing to help you.

Best regards

Christoph Lampert