[XviD-devel] vlc_codes.h

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sat Feb 22 10:46:57 CET 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Edouard Gomez wrote:

> And if you know how to export only some function/variables on Unix
> systems... i would realy appreciate you to teach me :)

We can strip whatever we don't need. But for the static lib (which is the
problem) I guess this would only work for symbols that really are not
needed over sourcefile boundaries...

> The xvid_* prefixing rule seems reasonable.

Maybe we could do that automatically when creating the library?
I found that recent version of "GNU objcopy" have an
--redefine-sym option. Thus one could make a copy of libxvidcore.a and
rename all exported symbols to the same symbol with a xvid_ in front
(except for xvid_encore/decore/init of course).

Apart from that we should really find a solution which doesn't export so
many internal variables.

Isn't there a way to create a static lib where sourcefiles are
somehow linked to form a new independent object, each knowing the other
ones symbols, but the outside world doesn't? Or is that for shared libs
only?