[XviD-devel] Homedefined types

suxen_drol suxen_drol at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 23 09:42:00 CET 2003

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:26:53 +0100 (CET) Christoph Lampert <chl at math.uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what would you think of introducing new types with more
> "obvious" names:
>
> sad_t     for any SAD values in the widest sense of meaning
> stride_t  for typical "stride" types like "edgedwidth"
>
> It seems that those two are the most frequent sources of
> signed/unsigned 32/64bit errors.
>
> Others will surely be logical, too. Maybe
>
> quant_t
> dct_t
>
> What do you think?

i think the better solution, which you described, is to replace all the
unneccessary portab types with plain ints. for the asm stuff we should
retain portab types so we dont break the ppc&ia64 code.

dct_t is interesting. i wonder if we could support, through the use of
macros (or templates-style hacks), the use of different coefficient
sizes. x86-mmx works best with 16-bit coefficients, whereas plain ints
are faster on non-simd platforms.

keep in mind: it'd be nice to get the new api into head before any major
cvs-wide changes are applied... it makes merging a royal pain.

-- pete; life is like a box of ammo