[XviD-devel] last request

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Sun Feb 23 12:08:44 CET 2003

Radek Czyz (radoslaw at syskin.cjb.net) wrote:
> I would really like to understand why mplayer developers disgust
> any standard codec interface. Just because such interface is "a brain
> damaged microsoft's idea" is no argument.
>
> They have enough power to make UCI, or anything else, a *nix standard
> within months...
>
> Oh well, not my problem (except for this)

The problem  is not having a  common interface, the  problem is directly
related to the fact that all shared library have a common name space and
we can't easily decide what to export and what to keep internal. gcc 3.3
or 3.4 (read  the gcc development documentation) has  new attribtes that
would     allow    us     to     avoid    that     in    shared     code
(__attribute__(visibility(hidden)))

Now, the problem  with mplayer is also related to the  fact they like to
do   static  linking,   and  in   this  case,   you  can't   avoid  name
clashes. MPlayer devs are very picky at that, they like their monolithic
architecture and  don't try  to convince them  to do a  dlopen()... this
choice has advantages and drawbacks...

--
Edouard Gomez-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...