[XviD-devel] SGI Irix port

Florin Andrei xvid-devel@xvid.org
06 Jan 2003 19:25:41 -0800

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 01:26, Christoph Lampert wrote:
> On 5 Jan 2003, Florin Andrei wrote:
>
> welcome back!

Thanks! :-)

> > A while ago, i asked if you are interested in making XviD work on SGI
> > Irix. Someone from this mailing list answered positively, but after that
> > we've kinda lost contact.
>
> Maybe it was me?

Yes, Christian, it was you. ;-)

> I can't really help in porting to SGI (although I _love_
> the SGI compiler :-),

A lot of people love it, because of its thoroughness and because it's so
pedantic ("anal" is the word used by some). If you have the smallest
shadow of an error in your sources, it will surely let you know, loud
and clear.

PureFTPd was churned through it, to iron out bugs, before the 1.0.0
release. Possibly some other projects too, that i can't remember right
now.

> because I don't have access to a SGI machine anymore. :(((

I can fix that.

> So, I would be very interested in ssh access, maybe you could create an
> "xvid" account and we continue the discussion by private mail?

Ok, so then tomorrow i'll drive to work instead of walking, because i'll
have to carry my tiny Indy (hey, it's actually an R5K MIPS, full 64bit
architecture, don't make fun of it please :-D) to the office to
reinstall it (much better over the LAN than through some crappy VPN
thing).
I'll let you know (on your private address) when i'm done.

> That would be great! I guess it shouldn't be too much work to get XviD
> to compile on Irix, and I'm pretty sure that other tools like transcode
> and mplayer already exist there, too.

xine also was ported and i've heard it works fine (but of course i doubt
there's any decent DivX support for it yet on Irix).

On transcode-users mailing list there was, like a year ago, a cool
thread about some crazy guys from Germany who attempted to run transcode
on a medium-sized SGI Origin 3800 (128 CPUs, 64 GB RAM). They managed to
obtain a couple hundred frames per second when converting from DVD to
DivX, but that's because their DivX codec was completely unoptimised;
possibly, with an optimised codec, they might have been obtained some
kframe/sec or so. :-O

> Next step would be assembler or multimedia-library optimization (MDMX
> instruction set, isn't it?). I don't know anyone who could do that, but
> maybe we can wait until it's time for that to find someone... If I
> remember correctly, you might find somebody directly at SGI?

At least i can ask.
Yeah, ok, i'll post a question to an internal forum.

But if you want to do the low-level stuff yourself, i can ask for
documentation, which is a much easier question. :-) For starters:

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/init.cgi

Talk to you later,

--
Florin Andrei