[XviD-devel] Status of...

suxen_drol xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 08 Jan 2003 02:03:50 +1100

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:39:38 +0100 (CET) Christoph Lampert <chl@math.uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what's the status of "reduced resolution"? Is it stable? Should it be in

rrv "works", but ive not done enough testing to deem it stable.

> the branch at all, which is supposed to become ASP? I'm asking because
> I don't know how to combine GMC and reduced resolution. Is it possible
> at all? What happens to the prediction vectors etc.?

the specification does not describe how they are combined either.
reduced + qpel/gmc/interlacing is forbidden (unless we want to propose a
mpeg-4 ammendment..)

> And since I'm at it: Can somebody tell me exactly how the combination of
> GMC and Quarterpel should look like? As far as I know, motion compensation
> for GMC in quarterpel mode is done with _bilinear interpolation_, not with
> any filtering. But for vectors which lie outside the VOP area the GMC part
> refers to some other section and this also deals with boundary block
> mirroring. Can somebody (Michael?, Pete?) enlighten me what to do?

a gmc vector is no different than a regular mv vector; standard boundary padding
(image_setedges) applies.

-- pete; life is like a box of ammo